Often in our day to day living we don’t spare a thought for all those small aspects which actually builds up to provide us a quality living. Here are a few tips to help you keep your bedding products fresh and new for a longer period.
- Rub and remove any spots from the textile before they go for a wash. Once a spot is cooked and baked, they’ll be permanent. Stains like oily grease marks from body lotion etc., can we removed with dish soap. Do ensure that the scrubbing is gentle so as to not weaken the fibre.
- Do not mix bedding with textiles having metal zippers or a rough texture. It can cause abrasion and piling.
- Too much detergent weakens the fibres and hence use less detergent that recommended.
- Woollen Products should be hand-washed but also not too often. They should be kept flat to dry and should be ironed with a cloth to cover the surface in order to protect the shine.
- Wash in warm or cold water. Nowadays most detergents work in cold or warm water and hence there is no need to use hot water to remove stains. Moreover, it’s environment friendly to use warm water too. This helps in protecting the fabric and also maintains the shine over time.
- Bed linen gets softer with ironing and also tends to increase the comfort levels while resting at a physical and psychological level. If you don't have time, just iron the pillowcases. Linen is best ironed when damp.
- Woollen blankets and covers should be regularly aired outdoors or in an open window. This allows them to remain fresh.
- Storing linens in plastic can result in yellowing and should be avoided. Natural fibres need to be able to breathe.